Kaapschehoop Hiking Trail
Our motto: Hike more, worry less…
The Kaapschehoop Hiking Trail has various trail options ranging from two- to four-nights. The trail can be started from Barretts (train) Coaches or the Kaapschehoop Hut. The shortest route on this trail is 20,8km and the longest is 35,9km
The Kaapschehoop Hiking Trail is situated in the historic De Kaap Gold Fields in the Nelspruit area.
One interesting sight includes the blue swallow reserve, which is a section of the grassland that has specifically been set aside for the protection of the blue swallow’s habitat.
Another highlight is the wild horses, for which Kaapschehoop is famous for.
Hikers also get the opportunity to explore the Kaapschehoop village with its arts and crafts shops.
There are four overnight huts on the Kaapschehoop Hiking trail, which includes the Kaapschehoop Hut, close to Commissioner Square, Barretts Coaches, which is approximately 500m from the Berlin Plantation office, Wattles Hut which is situated among a patch of pine trees and Florence Hill hut at the old lookout tower.
Kaapschehoop Hiking Trail has various options ranging from two-to four-nights. The trail can be started from Barrets (train) Coaches or the Kaapschehoop Hut.
De Kaap Gold Fields in Nelspruit area
- Battery Creek Two-night Trail, (total distance either 23.5km or 16.3km)
- Starvation Creek Two-night Trail, (total distance 24.7km)
- Two Creeks Three-night Trail, (total distance 38.6km).
- Kaapschehoop Two-night Trail, (total distance 31.96km).
- Kaapschehoop 3 day no 6, (total distance 46.42)
There are four overnight huts on the trail that are ideally placed for you to explore the beauty of the area. The huts are equipped as follows:
- The Kaapschehoop Hut has 16 bunk beds, a donkey boiler for hot water, 2 showers and 2 toilets. There is a lovely braai area with a grid and firewood provided, but no electricity. Bring your own eating and cooking utensils.
- The Barretts Coaches (two train coaches) have electricity, 50 bunk beds, 3 toilets, 2 showers, and a braai area with firewood provided. Bring your own eating and cooking utensils.
- The Wattles Hut has 24 bunk beds, 3 toilets and 4 showers. A donkey boiler provides hot water. There is a fireplace and a braai area with grid and firewood provided. Bring your own eating and cooking utensils.
- The Florence Hill Hut has 10 bunk beds, 2 toilets and 2 showers, a gas heater for hot water, a fireplace and a braai area with firewood provided. Bring your own eating and cooking utensils.
Price available on Request
All information adapted with permission of owner