Oom Paul Hiking Trail
Our motto: Hike more, worry less…
The Oom Paul hiking trail is situated in the Skurweberg, Machadodorp, Mpumalanga area on two private farms named Poppieskroon and Bermondsey. It is approximately 230km from Pretoria and a 2 ½ hour drive. S25° 49.067' E30° 22.748'
The Oom Paul is a circular, 2 day with a backpack. Depending on the number of days chosen, the circular hike will be done between the following camps:
- Bermanzi Stables 1 or 2 Camp
- Aloe Kaya Camp
The 2-day circular trail comprises of walking from either the Bermanzi (The Stables 1 or 2) to the Aloe Kaya Camp or visa versa, all within the private farms, Poppieskroon and Bermondsey in the Skurweberg, Mapumalanga area with some extended and steep climbs involved. It can be hiked either from Bermanzi Berg Resort side sleeping in The Stables or from The Escarpment Trail side sleeping in the Aloe Kaya Hut.
The Oom Paul route is a challenging hike especially if the backpack option is chosen and should not be underestimated as it has steep climbs, up and down, therefore sturdy hiking boots are essential. Ladders and bridges needs to be crossed, some of them are not for the feint hearted. A moderate to higher level of fitness is required for this hike. An unusual trail with spectacular views that must not be underestimated by the casual hiker.
Day 1 – 10km
Day 2 – 10km
The Stables: Back to Basics Accommodation: Stables 1 and Stables 2
The Stables are ideal for hiking groups as well as youth groups and church groups.
The Stables, 1 and 2 are kitted out with bunk beds and sleep 6 – 8 people per room with a maximum of 50 people being accommodated throughout The Stables.
- This accommodation is fitted with two kitchens and ablution facilities.
- Fully equipped kitchens with cutlery and crockery, fridge, stove, pot and pans
- Hot showers and flush toilets
- Outside braai areas
Two double story huts snuggled into the spectacular sandstone formations.
- Sleeps 24
- 2 Double story wooden house sleeping 6 each
- Fully equipped kitchen with a 2- plate gas stove
- Long table in kitchen for great ‘kuiers’
- Fridge with a small freezer component
- Pots/Pans cutlery and crockery
- 2 Inside showers and flush toilets
- 4 outside showers with electricity/geyser
- 2 outside toilets overlooking the valleys – loos with a view
- Inside and outside braai
Price available on Request
All information adapted with permission of owner