Blue Wildebeest Hiking Trail is a hiker’s, nature lovers and eco tourist’s dream.
Situated 10km outside Badplaas, Mpumulanga, just 3 hours’ drive from Johannesburg and Pretoria and 1 hour from Nelspruit.
Distance and Difficulty
Day 1: 9km (easy to average)
Day 2: 6km (average to difficult)
It is a two day base camp trail. You spend both nights at the thatched house where you park your vehicle.
This stunning and spectacular trail passed through pristine grassland, up unspoilt ridges, down gorges, past beautiful streams, waterfalls, natural rock pools for swimming, awesome rock formations and ancient ruins. Any hiker and nature lovers dream!
You will find a variety of antelope.
Both the 1st and 2nd day hikes brings you to the mountain top with splendid panoramic views of the whole Badplaas area and valley. There is an abundance of indigenous fauna and flora.
At night you can enjoy a clear view of the stars and hear the calls of the jackals in the distance and the sounds of owls in the tress around the house.
The route is clearly marked, km for km which makes it easier to know how far you have hiked and how far before the end.
Day 1 - Long Trail
- 2.05 km - River Crossing
- 2.65 km - Old kraal
- 2.67 km - Shady Spots/Trees
- 2.90 km - River/Water, Possible Tea Break
- 3.21 km – Old Kraal
- 3.33 km – Shady Spot/Kraal and Trees
- 4.00 km – Dam/Dam Wall
- 5.20 km – Highest Viewpoint, Possible Lunch Break, Shaded Picnic Spot
- 6.26 km – Waterfall and Rocks
- 6.59 km – River/Rocks/Possible Picnic Spot
- 6.97 km – Merging Of Long and Short Trail, Possible Picnic Spot, River
- 7.92 km – River, Rocks, Possible Picnic Spot
- 8.50 km – Likkewaan Pool, Ideal For Kids – Shallow Pool
- 8.84 km – Waterfall, High Rocks, Possible Picnic Spot
- 9.00 km – Big Pool and Picnic Spot – Deep Pool
- 9.46 km – Base Camp
Day 2 – Short Trail0.80 km – River/ Waterfall/ Picnic Spot
- 1.82 km – Old Kraal
- 1.97 km – Shady Spot/ Trees
- 3.00 km – Highest Viewpoint Day 2
- 3.20 km – Old Ruins and Kraal, Picnic Spot
- 4.37 km – Merging Of Long and Short Trail, Picnic Spot
- 5.89 km – Likkewaan Pool, Ideal For Kids, Shallow Pool
- 6.23 km – Waterfall, High Rocks, Possible Picnic Spot
- 6.39 km – Big Pool and Picnic Spot – Deep Pool
- 6.85 km – Base Camp
Thatched Stone Cottage
- Can Accomodate 12 Hikers
- 12 Beds with Mattresses
- Donkey –Fired Geysers (Samson Will Light the Donkeys)
- 2 Toilets and 2 Showers
- 2 Plate Stove
- Small Gas Fridge
- Candle Holders, 2 Paraffin Lamps
- Black Cast Iron Pots, Cutlery and Crockery
- Braai Tongs
- Braai Grid
- Camp Chairs and 2 Tables – Lapa
Please Note: For The 2 Plate Stove, Bring Your Own Cadac Gas Bottle (See Gallery)